Button batteries causing injuries and deaths - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Button batteries causing injuries and deaths

By Stephanie Bell Flynt - bio | email

WASHINGTON, DC (WLBT) - The number of children swallowing batteries has skyrocketed. And experts warn, it could be fatal.

The increase is directly related to the widespread use of the round button lithium batteries used in many household products. New statistics show there's been an almost seven fold increase in battery ingestions over the past 25 years causing serious complications of the esophagus and 13 deaths.

Doctors say batteries must be removed within two hours to prevent severe injuries. Damage is caused when an external current from the battery reacts with tissue fluids.

(Study led by researchers at the National Capitol Poison Center and published in the journal Pediatrics.)

©2009 WLBT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly