Diet doctor: Lose the weight & keep it off - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Diet doctor: Lose the weight & keep it off

Posted: Updated:

IRVING, TX (NBC) - A Texas doctor wants people to lose weight slowly and keep it off. Simple advice, but the weight loss doctor says it really works. Losing weight begins at the grocery store.

Dr. Douglas Cluff of the SvelteLife Weight Loss Program says, "80-20 healthy to less healthy." Where Dr. Douglas Cluff wants shoppers to fill their carts by following a simple rule.

Dr. Cluff says, "If 80% of what you eat is healthy, you can totally have fun with the other 20%." The Irving family doctor teaches patients and clients how to read food labels and choose their food wisely.

Dr. Cluff says, "So if you go to frosted mini-wheats, you got the frosted part. But even look up here, you've got six grams of fiber."

Doctor Cluff put his entire weight loss system online. It's a program called SvelteLife.   

Dr. Cluff says, "People try to run the weight loss race as if it were a sprint, and it's not. It's a long-term thing. It's a marathon."

The simple program emphasizes healthy eating, realistic goals, stress management and regular exercise with routines he developed.

Dr. Cluff says, "You'd get an amazing workout of most major muscle groups in about 10 minutes."

Ashley Baxter struggled with her weight for years then lost 67 pounds over three years on the SvelteLife program.

Ashley says, "It's actually very easy. But the hardest part is the fact that it takes a long time. You have to slowly change your life so that you can keep it that way and then your weight will come off slowly and surely and you'll become more healthy."

The key is watching what you eat and how much.

Dr. Cluff says, "What people eat is nowhere near as important as how much of it they eat. And so in moderation, that 80-20 rule is crucial."

SvelteLife is a subscription site, which means it does cost money. But there are several free sites that help you keep track of what you eat everyday --and log the fat and calories.

Powered by WorldNow