Brandon house fire may have been sparked by heater - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Brandon house fire may have been sparked by heater

By Monica Hernandez - bio | email | twitter

JACKSON, MS (WLBT) - A morning fire that destroyed a home in Brandon may have been sparked by a heater.

It happened around 7 AM, at 1000 Sumac Creek in the Bridgetown subdivison off Spillway Road. 

Fire officials were able to knock out the blaze, but the home is a total loss.

Three older women lived in the home. One is in her 90s. All three were able to escape, with only the clothes on their backs and their two dogs. But, they're still unable to find their four cats.

The owners believe the fire may have been sparked by cinders from their wood heater.

Fire officials are still investigating the cause, but want to warn people to be careful when trying to stay warm.

"Watch their power sources, any old extension cords, anything like that. Have them replaced," said Capt. Michael Robbins of the Reservoir Fire Department.

The weather is expected to remain cold throughout the week, and Rankin County emergency officials advise you to stay safe.

Make sure your fire detector is working. And have a qualified service person come out to ensure your heater is working properly. Keep combustibles away from space heaters. And only use appliances that are specifically made to heat your home. In other words, don't use stoves or the like to keep your home warm.

©2009 WLBT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly