Battery kills baby - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Battery kills baby

Posted: Updated:

HAMILTON, OH (NBC) - An Ohio family is mourning for a lost son and hope their story will help keep other children safe.

At 13 months old, Aidan Truett was like any toddler. He was immensely curious about the world around him, and he stuck most anything he encountered into his mouth. Aidan's parents knew something was wrong when their son began having trouble eating, and they soon learned it was because he'd swallowed a battery the size of a dime.

"I feel empty - there is a hole that will never close up, he was my baby and he was precious," said Michelle Truett. "I never would have thought in a million years that a battery could have been so deadly."

So-called button batteries are used in numerous household items, including watches, DVD remotes and musical greeting cards.

"It's not just the acid - it's the current passing through the tissues," said Lonnie Truett. The combination caused severe bleeding that eventually led to the boy's death.

"I did CPR, I did my best, but he was going very quick," Michelle Truett said. The Truetts keep their son's cremated remains nearby; Michelle wears a heart with some while Lonnie wears a cross.

"We go on vacation, we go to the store and he's right here with us," Michelle Truett said. They hope their experience will serve as a lesson for other parents.

"We just want other parents to know the dangers and if they have these get rid of them - they're not worth your child's life," Lonnie Truett said. The Truetts recommended writing down the battery size instead of saving one to match at the store. They also want manufacturers to consider placing a protective coating on the batteries in case a child places them in their mouth.

Copyright 2010 NBC. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow