Governor Barbour announces latest round of cuts - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Governor Barbour announces latest round of cuts

Posted: Updated:

JACKSON, MS (WLBT) -  On Friday, Governor Haley Barbour announced that 3.19 percent will be cut to all state agencies across the board.

"This is not going to be the worst budget year." Governor Barbour said during a press conference. "Last year we ended up spending $20 million more."

Last year's spending along with a down economy lead to this fiscal year's second round of cuts.

In the fall of 2009, the Governor made his 5% cuts to agencies. After these second round of cuts, the total for state agencies will be 8.19 percent.

This comes at time while House Democrats don't approve of these reductions asking the Governor to tap into the Rainy Day Fund.

"And those funds are for this particular type of use. When it's raining we need to put out the umbrella," said House Democrat Gregory Holloway of Copiah, Hinds, and Claiborne counties.

Meanwhile, Mississippi's State Auditor Stacey Pickering has been planning for reductions for his agency. He says the reductions are a move the Governor has to get done and that agencies should plan for a down economy for the next two years.

"It's going to behoove every state agency director, every elected official, not only at the state level, but at the local level to really work with their staff to streamline the management of taxpayer dollars," Pickering said.

However, Pickering does say that in this economy and the lack of funding Mississippi has seen, other state agencies may have no choice, but to cut personnel.

"Their salaries, possible lay-offs. And to be honest with you there's no way that a cut of this magnitude can take place without some lay offs taking effect in state government."

©2010 WLBT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow