Smoking cause of fatal apartment fire - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Smoking cause of fatal apartment fire

STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP) - State Fire Marshal Mike Chaney says smoking was the cause of a Starkville apartment fire last month that killed nine people.

Chaney tells the Northeast Mississippi Daily Journal that was the conclusion reached by his investigations in a final report issued Monday. The report determined that the fire originated in a chair in the living room of the apartment.

The Dec. 28 fire deaths at the Academy Crossing apartment complex included six children ages 6 and under. It was the worst fatal fire to strike Mississippi in modern history.

Starkville Fire Chief Rodger Mann said his investigation continues. Mann says he can't eliminate smoking, but has declined to discuss details of his department's investigation until it is complete.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 

Powered by WorldNow