JACKSON, MS (WLBT) - A fire at a grocery store in Brandon forced the evacuation of more than 100 customers and employees. Smoke and flames were reported just after 1:00 p.m. Saturday at the Kroger on Highway 80.
Fire officials said approximately 150 people were rushed out of the store before firefighters arrived. Pearl Fire Department assisted Brandon crews in extinguishing the flames. Investigators believe a grease fire sparked the blaze in the deli area.
"Found some fire around blatant grease products on the floor. Damage was limited to a couple pieces of machinery. The Kroger employees did a real good job with using fire extinguishers to know it down," said Brandon Fire Chief Rob Martin.
The store sustained minor damage. Customers and employees were able to return to the store within 45 minutes.
©2010 WLBT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.