State Fire Marshal's Office offers heating safety tips - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

State Fire Marshal's Office offers heating safety tips

JACKSON, MS (WLBT) - The State Fire Marshal's Office said Thursday nearly half of the 19 fire deaths they've investigated since January 1, 2010, have been caused by improper or malfunctioning heating sources.

Your source of heat could prove dangerous in this cold weather. Here are some tips on preventing fires and fire deaths.

Officials recommended following these heating fire safety tips:

  • All heating equipment should be approved, cleaned and inspected by a qualified professional prior to being used each year.
  • Remember to keep clothes, drapes, and anything else combustible at least three feet away from all heating equipment, especially space heaters.
  • Inspect the space heater's power cord for damage, fraying, or heat.  If the cord inspection reveals any of these issues, the heater should be replaced.  Proper cleaning is essential and should be done regularly.
  • Never use space heaters while you sleep, when you are away from home, or in areas where children may be without adult supervision.
  • Always unplug space heaters when they are not in use.  The heater should also be equipped with a tip over shut-off switch.
  • Use only traditional heating equipment.
  • Never use a stove or oven to heat living spaces.  Kerosene is a poor choice for heating as it will give off poisonous fumes.
  • Have chimney flues cleaned and inspected by qualified personnel.
  • Have a spark screen that is age-appropriate for all individuals using any area to be heated by a fireplace.
  • Burn only approved materials in a fireplace or wood-burning stove; never burn paper or trash in a fireplace or wood-burning stove.

Officials said if a fire breaks out in the home, have an emergency evacuation plan for the family to follow and have a designated meeting place for all family members.  Once everyone is outside the home, call 911 and DO NOT RE-ENTER THE HOUSE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

 

 

 

Powered by Frankly