JACKSON, MS (WLBT) - Fire officials are investigating what sparked a blaze that destroyed a Jackson home Monday morning.
It happened in the 900 block of Glenwood Street, off Robinson Street.
A family with six children lived in the home. No one was inside at the time, and no one was hurt. But the home is no longer livable. There's extensive roof and smoke damage because the fire tore through most of the house.
A neighbor says the flames spread quickly.
"By the time the trucks came [the fire] moved to the back of the house. It was really blazing out, it was a lot of smoke," said Johanna Mason, who lives next door. "The way the flames were pushing out, the smoke was really filling my house, so I didn't know if it was going to come over."
The family does have insurance, and officials have called the Red Cross to help.
©2009 WLBT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.