How long does it take? (any operation)
- Most operations take less than an hour. There are exceptions for the more complicated cases.
Can it be done laparoscopically? (any operation)
- Most abdominal operations can be done laparoscopically or laparoscopically assisted. There are of course exceptions and you should discuss your options with your surgeon.
What does the gallbladder do? (Gallbladder)
- The gallbladder stores bile. Bile is used to help in the digestion of food, especially fatty foods.
What is a hernia? (hernia)
- A hernia is a defect in the tough layer of the abdominal wall. It is like a weak spot on a tire, the higher the intraabdominal pressure, the larger the hernia will become.
How long will I be off work? (any operation)
- As a general rule most patients can return to light duty two weeks post op. Patients that do not have the option of light duty may miss up to one month of work, but this varies with different operations. You should discuss your particular details with your surgeon.
Can I drive? (any operation)
- Patients are allowed to drive after an operation when they are no longer taking pain medicines and they can react in an emergency.
Can I take a bath? (any operation)
- Usually you can take a shower within 24 hours of surgery.
Will I need someone to stay with me after surgery?(any operation)
- It is always a good idea to have someone stay with you for a few days after surgery.
Will I ever get another hernia? (hernia)
- Most hernias today are repaired with a mesh of some type. This reduces the risk of recurrence but does not eliminate it.
When do I remove my dressing? (any operation)
- It is usually OK to remove your dressings between 24 and 48 hours after surgery.
What if I am nauseated after surgery? (any operation)
- If you become nauseated after surgery and it does not resolve within a few hours, you should call your doctor.
What if I have drainage from my wound? (any operation)
- If you have a small amount of drainage from your wound, this is OK. However, if you have a lot of drainage, if it is foul smelling or if you are having fever also, you should call your doctor.
What if I have fever after an operation? (any operation)
- A little fever after an operation is not unexpected. However, persistent fever over 101.5 is a reason to call yur doctor.
What if I am constipated after an operation? (any operation)
- Post operation pain medicines can cause constipation. It is OK to use a laxative to help relieve this type of constipation.
Is it OK to take laxatives after colon surgery? (any operation)
- Since there are several different types of colon surgery, you should discuss this with your surgeon.
My doctor says I have a hernia; does it have to be fixed? (hernia)
- We recommend that anyone who is a reasonable candidate for surgery should have their hernia repaired.
I am having nausea and vomiting after eating, do you think this is my gallbladder?
- Although nausea and vomiting are associated with diseases of the gallbladder there are also many other potential causes. Often you will also have symptoms of right sided abdominal pain. You may also notice the nausea, vomiting and pain is particularly worse after eating fatty foods such as fried foods, bacon, sausage or pizza.
I have severe reflux, is there an operation that will help? (GERD)
- Yes, but further work up would be required to see if you are a patient that would benefit from this type of surgery.
Do I have to have a referring doctor or can I just call and make an appointment?
- If you think you have a problem that would require an operation to resolve, we are happy to see you without a referral. However, we encourage most people to see their primary care physician first to see if there are any other test that may need to be ordered prior to your visit with a surgeon.
I have a bulge in my belly button, is this a hernia?
- Most likely, however there are other potential causes, the only way to know for sure is by an exam from a physician.
I have a bulge and pain in my groin, is this a hernia?
- Most likely, however, there are other potential causes, the only way to know for sure is by an exam form a physician.