JACKSON, MS (WLBT) - A building once abandoned during the height of the 1960's Civil Rights Movement gets reclaimed as a historical marker on the campus of Jackson State University.
The unveiling took place this afternoon at JSU's Center For University-Based Development. The building located at 1017 John R. Lynch Street, was the former Mississippi headquarters of the Council Of Federated Organizations.
The former COFO headquarters played a key role in history holding activities such as voter registration for African Americans.
This key event is part of a bigger plan to enterprise a Civil Rights education center to attract tourists and preserve the memories of the Civil Rights Movement.
©2010 WLBT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.