Seized Money Used to Purchase Squad Cars in Rankin County - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Seized Money Used to Purchase Squad Cars in Rankin County

Posted: Updated:

RANKIN COUNTY, MS (WLBT) - Rankin County will soon use funds seized in a routine traffic stop to buy ten squad cars and equipment for the sheriff's department.

Sheriff Ronnie Pennington says the county was awarded the money this month because it was never claimed.

A court order allowed the money to be divided among Rankin County agencies with 80%, or $1.2 million, going to the sheriff's department and the remaining 20% going to the district attorney's office.

At least $1.3 million was seized from a truck hauling a trailer back in January. The money was seized after a minor traffic violation on Interstate 20 between Brandon and Pelahatchie.

The funds were found in a concealed compartment of the trailer.

Powered by WorldNow