CANTON, MS (WLBT) - Inmates housed at the Madison County Jail had to be evacuated this afternoon. a maintenance crew was installing a new air-conditioning unit on the roof of the canton facility when hot metal sparked a fire between the roof and the ceiling.
All 144 inmates in that building were moved to safety as it filled with smoke. No one was injured.
"It couldn't have happened at a better time, if it had to happen, because it was right at shift change. We had a lot of detention officers in the jail. They were able to move all the inmates out into the yard, which is our fire protocol. We called in every man we have" said Chief Deputy Eddie Belvedvesi.
Deputies say the smoke and water will be cleaned up in time for the inmates to be back in their cells tonight.
©2010 WLBT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.