Investigation continues after Jackson man charged with officer' - - Jackson, MS

Investigation continues after Jackson man charged with officer's murder

Posted: Updated:

By  Julie Straw - bio | email | twitter

JACKSON, MS (WLBT) - New details emerge in the shooting death of a Jackson Police Officer.  A man is charged in his murder while the search continued for the weapon. 

When officer Glen Agee and two other Precinct One officers were called to the 2000 block of Will-O-Wisp Way.  There they arrested 24-year-old Latwan Dupree Smith for holding a gun to the head of someone inside the home.  Police officials said Smith was combative when he was taken into custody.  The three officers were transporting him directly to the Hinds County Detention Center in Raymond when Smith escaped from the squad car.

JPD officers were less than a half mile away from the Hinds County Detention Center when Latwan Smith escaped from the police cruiser.  The escape and the chase that followed led to the shooting death of rookie police officer Glen Agee.

"This is a very dangerous profession in that when tragedies happen, unlike other professions, we don't have the opportunity to shut down to recover," said JPD Assistant Chief Lee Vance.

Jackson Police and the Hinds County Sheriff's Department have been working around the clock to find out exactly what happened Friday night.  Assistant Chief Lee Vance said Smith complained of trouble breathing and asked for the rear window to be rolled down.

"Unknown to the officers, this individual had apparently maneuvered the handcuffs from behind his back to the front of his body," said Vance.

He used his hands to reach through the window and open the door.  Once Smith bolted behind the Sonic Restaurant on Highway 18 officer Agee took off after him.  The two other Precinct 1  officers patrolled the area in their vehicles.  Agee caught up with Smith in a canal that was about five feet deep.

"We're pretty much sure that there was a struggle between the suspect and the officer on the water.  The details on how the weapon was discharged I'm not prepared to say exactly at this point," said Vance.

Officer Agee was found in the water with a gunshot wound to the face.  He was airlifted to UMC where he died shortly after arrival. 

"We will do everything that we can to support this family, in any way we can to support this family," said JPD Community Relations Manager Linda Wooley.

Meanwhile, this will make Smith's 12th arrest in the last six years.  Capital murder has now been added to the 24 year old's extensive rap sheet.

©2010 WLBT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow