Persons of interest questioned in murder of delivery man - - Jackson, MS

Persons of interest questioned in murder of delivery man

Posted: Updated:

By Howard Ballou  - bio | email | twitter

JACKSON, MS (WLBT) - Jackson police are questioning "persons of interest" in connection with last Friday's shooting death of a delivery man at a Jackson convenience store.

The "persons of interest" are suspects in a bold, early morning kidnapping and high speed chase that began in Neshoba County and ended in Leake County. 

Jackson police also released the disturbing surveillance from Friday's murder. In the chilling and heartbreaking video, you see 45-year-old William Morris, mortally wounded; clutching his side, clearly in pain as he tries to get help from someone at the Super Stop on Medgar Evers Boulevard. The convenience store door is finally opened and Morris falls to the ground. He later dies from his wounds. Who could do such a thing to Morris, a delivery man, just trying to do his job? Jackson police may have the answer. 

Officer Colendula Green confirmed JPD investigators are questioning 23-year-old Bennie Lee Gunn and 18-year-old Dantae Evans, both of Jackson; trying to determine if they are the two men seen walking away in the surveillance video. 

"Get that camera out of my face," yelled 25-year-old Chasity Nicole Davis, of Lena. 

Gunn and Evans along with Davis, are in police custody in Philadelphia, Mississippi after a bold, early morning kidnapping attempt in the parking lot of the local Walmart. They tried to stuff a woman into the trunk of a car. Luckily, she escaped. There was a high speed, 3-and-a-half mile chase which ended in a crash in front of the Golden Moon Casino, but it didn't stop there. 

Philadelphia police chief Richard Sistrunk said, "The Gunn subject, he stole a vehicle from a maintenance crew and another pursuit started at that point." 

That pursuit ended in nearby Leake County in a driveway in Carthage. Gunn took off on foot but was quickly captured in a wooded area. 

Chief Sistrunk said, "We have recovered some money; a large sum of money but we're not sure at this time where it came from." 

Lawmen also recovered three guns believed to have been in the possession of the suspects. Meanwhile, William Morris' family members are still trying to come to terms with the sudden and senseless loss of their loved one. 

His sister, Catherine Thompson said, "He didn't hurt anybody. He was a hard worker. He worked. He provided. He helped his family and he was the one that was the role model in our family and he's gone."

JPD spokesperson Officer Colendula Green would not say if Gunn and Evans will be charged with Morris' murder Wednesday, but all three are expected to make an initial appearance before a judge Wednesday morning in Philadelphia. 

©2009 WLBT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow