JACKSON, MS (WLBT) - A few flames were still visible about an hour and a half after fire broke out at the duplex at 37 Northtown Drive in Jackson.
"First unit arrived on scene, there was heavy flames showing from the second floor level of the east side," said Jackson firefighter Billy Johnson.
Shanay Grant and her boyfriend, who live on one side of the duplex, say it's the scariest thing they've ever been through.
"We woke up to nothing but smoke in the house," Grant told us early this morning.
"We have four little kids we had to rush, get them out to safety. We ran, called 911, by the time the fire department got here, his house had burnt to the ground. Most of my house had burnt up," Grant's boyfriend told us.
It's believed the fire originated with the neighbor's stove.
Everyone got out OK.
The extent of the damage wasn't known until daylight revealed it. Grant remains numb from the experience.
"I heard something popping," she says. She ignored the sound, then realized the neighboring house was up in flames.
She found herself in a race against time to save her children. "I had to try to get all of them out. One turned back around to get back to sleep. We had to go back, try to get her back out," she says. "They don't fully understand it yet. I'm gonna sit down, explain everything to them."
Grant's four children are all students at Jackson's McLeod Elementary School.
After staying a few nights in a hotel provided by The American Red Cross, she says she has no idea where her family will go. "Everything downstairs is gone, as well as everything upstairs. There's nothing left in there," she says.
Grant did not have renters insurance.
If you can assist the family, call 662-235-4900.
©2010 WLBT. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.