Trash fire re-ignites, burns down Meridian house - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Trash fire re-ignites, burns down Meridian house

MERIDIAN, Miss. (AP) - Lauderdale County Fire Service Coordinator Allan Dover says the owner of a house that burned down won't be ticketed for violating Mississippi's burn ban. Dover says he's suffered enough.

He tells The Meridian Star that the homeowner thought he'd put out the fire in a leaf pile, but it reignited. The back porch caught fire, then the blaze raced through the house.

Dover says firefighters were slowed by a 250-gallon propane tank that started venting and a broken power line that was setting the surrounding grass and brush on fire.

Dover says nobody was injured.

He pointed out that Gov. Haley Barbour announced a ban on outdoor burning on Thursday, one day before the fire.

Dover says the ban applies to everything, including small piles of leaves or trash in a barrel.

Copyright 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

 

Powered by WorldNow