Scary moments for Charice Willis and her family Wednesday night at the Greenbriar Apartments on McDowell Road. A home cooked meal had turned into dangerous flames.
"One of the eyes on the stove ignited with the skillet we were using," said Willis. "We were very scared when we saw the flames."
The Jackson Fire Department was called, but it was a neighbor who happened to be a veteran firefighter who extinguished the blaze before it spread throughout the unit. Lucky for the Willis family because when crews arrived a key firefighting tool was missing.
"They noticed the fire hydrant had been down. We said it had been down for about a month," said Willis.
The fire hydrant, knocked over and damaged by a vehicle, had sat untouched for nearly 30 days. Rudell Pirtle, Greenbriar Apartments Manager, called it a safety hazard. He said he made calls to city officials.
"First I called the water department because I wasn't sure of who I should contact and then they said they'd write it up and take care of it for us," said Pirtle.
After no response Pirtle called the local fire station and then finally a plumber.
"It is very important to have a fire hydrant working on the property because if something major does happen we will need the access of water so the firemen can do their jobs," said Pirtle.
WLBT called the City of Jackson. Spokesperson Chris Mims said there was no record of a complaint about a broken fire hydrant at the Greenbriar Apartments. He said after WLBT's call someone would be sent out to inspect and repair it.
The city of Jackson has a call system set up for residents to report problems or make a request. Dial 3-1-1 from a land line or Cellular South phone to be connected.
©2011 WLBT. All rights reserved.