Jackson business fire contained - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Jackson business fire contained

Posted: Updated:
Fire at Mars and Steel in Jackson Fire at Mars and Steel in Jackson
JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

The work day for members of a long time Jackson business was changed dramatically Friday morning. Before the break of dawn the flames burning from the roof of "Mars and Steel Awards" in north Jackson lit up the sky.

When "Mars and Steel Awards" business owners and employees arrived on scene, as you can imagine they were in a bit of shock.

Employee Sharon Davis says, "it's very sad, I never thought that I would not have a place to go to work tomorrow and to have all this re-building to do."

Davis and her sisters have worked at "Mars and Steel Awards" nearly their entire lives. Their father, Sonny Steel and his work partner Charles Mars opened up the original shop, which specializes in trophies and awards, 47 years ago. The current location that caught fire Friday has been in operation over twenty years.

Steel says, "the Lord Blessed us more than we deserved, we've gotten by all these years without a fire and so it was a real surprise this morning."

While there's lots of clean-up work to do employees say they're most concerned about their customers.

Davis says, "we've got things in there you know that have either burned or we can't get them to people that may be presenting this weekend or you know have a banquet and we never want to miss a presentation."

Several hours after this fire began, fire crews were still on scene, but despite the extent of the damage, those who work here are optimistic that everything will be ok.

Steel says when he first heard about the fire, he thought,  "well, the first thing that went through my mind is did I have any insurance and the second thing was about our employees and customers."

Steel says they'll get everything back in order as soon as possible. He just asks that his remain patient.

No one was injured during the blaze. Officials from the fire department believe the fire started in the roof of the business.

 

Copyright 2011 WLBT. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow