Apartment fire leaves families homeless - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Apartment fire leaves families homeless

Posted: Updated:
BUDE, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

Nearly a dozen families are left homeless Saturday after fire sweeps through their Franklin county apartment complex.

Sheriff James Newman said units were destroyed at the Fox Run Apartment complex in Bude.

Officials received the 911 call around 4:15 p.m.

A preliminary investigation indicates that a grease fire started when a 15-year-old was cooking chicken.

The blaze reportedly sparked flames in the oven exhaust system.

The sheriff said 10 apartments were damaged or destroyed.

The heaviest damage was on the second floor.

There were no fatalities.

One fire fighter had to be treated for heat exhaustion.

Copyright 2011 WLBT. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow