If you have to drive in fog, there are a few tips to minimize your risk:
- The Department of Transportation says to drive with your headlights on low beam. Bright lights just reflect off the fog and can impair your visibility even more.
- Follow the markings on the right side of the road. Those "fog lines" are designed to help drivers stay in their lane.
- Reduce your speed. Fog creates an illusion that you're moving slower than you really are.
- Open your window to listen for traffic.
- Stay patient. Don't try to pass other vehicles, even if you think they're moving too slowly.
Copyright WSMV 2012 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.