One dead in overnight house fire - - Jackson, MS

One dead in overnight house fire

Posted: Updated:
COPIAH COUNTY, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

A woman has died in an overnight house fire in Copiah County.

The victim, Bertha Thornton, suffered from smoke inhalation when her home at 1034 West Gallatin Road caught on fire.

A sheriff's deputy spotted the fire while on routine patrol.  

Deputy Michael Stogner went through a bedroom window and managed to rescue her husband, Billy Thorton. 

Stogner was unable to reach Mrs. Thornton, who was in a smoke filled hallway.

The State Fire Marshal's Office is investigating what started the fire.

Copyright 2011 WLBT. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow