A black bear spotted at a home in Pass Christian Tuesday morning has been on quite a journey. Wildlife officials say they've tracked the bear from Jones County all the way to the coast.
(Photo source: Erin Ladnier)
PASS CHRISTIAN, MS (WLOX) -
Imagine walking more than 100 miles in this heat. That's what a black bear has been doing in South Mississippi.
The bear was spotted at a home in Pass Christian Tuesday morning. Wildlife officials tell WLOX News they've tracked the bear all the way to the coast from Jones County.
Brad Young with the Mississippi Department of Wildlife said the animal was trapped and fitted with a tracking device early last month. He started his journey near Highway 98 in Jones County, passed by Camp Shelby, then moved on to Poplarville and Saucier. He was then spotted near Interstate 10 in the Pass.
Young said the bear is looking around a free meal.
"We don't want the bear hanging around residential areas. So we're encouraging people to take care, to not leave food out overnight, keep pet food indoors, things that like so the bear doesn't come snooping around looking for an easy meal," Young said.
Young said 90 percent of a bear's diet consists of plant materials like berries, acorns and grass. The other 10 percent is mostly insects.
Sunday, May 19 2013 5:35 PM EDT2013-05-19 21:35:57 GMT
A body discovered in Clinton Saturday night has led to a homicide investigation. Hinds County Coroner Sharon Grisham Stewart confirms a body was discovered, although few other details are known. The bodyMore >>
Clinton Police Department's Interim Chief Mike Warren said upon further investigation, it appears an disagreement over a woman may have led to the death of a Jackson man.
Saturday, May 18 2013 10:00 PM EDT2013-05-19 02:00:02 GMT
Observers are predicting a speedy confirmation to the federal bench for Jackson attorney Debra M. Brown. If confirmed, Brown would become the state's first black female district judge. Carl Tobias, aMore >>
Observers are predicting a speedy confirmation to the federal bench for Jackson attorney Debra M. Brown.More >>
It's all about the odds, and one lone ticket in Florida has beaten them all by matching each of the numbers drawn for the highest Powerball jackpot in history at an estimated $590.5 million, lottery officials...More >>
Some lucky person walked into a Publix supermarket in suburban Florida over the past few days and bought a ticket now worth an estimated $590.5 million - the highest Powerball jackpot in history.More >>
Friday, May 17 2013 7:16 PM EDT2013-05-17 23:16:53 GMT
One person has died in a crash near Harrisonville, MO, Thursday evening. The crash happened on Missouri Highway 7 and Walker Road. It involved a car and a tractor-trailer. Harrisonville is in Cass County.More >>
Savannah Nash celebrated her 16th birthday last week. She died Thursday when her car slammed into a semi while she was texting during her first time driving by herself.More >>
Thursday, May 16 2013 7:38 AM EDT2013-05-16 11:38:49 GMT
WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - An Army wife who lost over 100 pounds while her husband was away in Afghanistan surprised the soldier Wednesday when he arrived at Wilmington International Airport. Misty Shaffer,More >>
A soldier from Wilmington returns from Afghanistan to a big surprise: a new wife, a new house and a different child.More >>
Inmates at jails in Indianapolis, Baltimore, St. Louis and Philadelphia face the nation's highest levels of sexual abuse at the hands of guards, according to a new federal report based on surveys of inmates at...More >>
Inmates at jails in Indianapolis, Baltimore, St. Louis and Philadelphia face the nation's highest levels of sexual abuse at the hands of guards, according to a new federal report based on surveys of inmates at U.S. jails.More >>
Saturday, May 18 2013 8:20 PM EDT2013-05-19 00:20:30 GMT
An accident combined with interstate roadwork causes headaches for motorists Saturday afternoon in Rankin county. Traffic was practically brought to a standstill on I-20 in Pearl at the Airport Road exitMore >>
An accident combined with interstate roadwork causes headaches for motorists Saturday afternoon in Rankin County.More >>
WLBT 3 - Fox 40
715 South Jefferson Street
Jackson, Mississippi 39201