Canton family loses everything in fire - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Canton family loses everything in fire

Posted: Updated:
CANTON, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

High School Senior Justin Huff is still trying to come to terms with the fire that destroyed virtually everything inside the home he's lived in almost since birth.

"When I walked by, all I saw were big flames in here," he says, pointing to his wheelchair-bound father's bedroom. He says the fire seemed to come from the closet in that bedroom, which is close to the water heater.

"I had to come in here, grab my Dad, I didn't even look at the fire. I'm just grabbing him," Huff tells us.

Everyone got out safely, including Huff's mother and 15-year-old sister Juscina.

"I was just talking on my phone. I smelled something burning. Then I looked up. It was black smoke coming in the room," Juscina says.

They're both a little stunned, and as they assessed the damage Thursday, they can barely even think about their upcoming birthdays, both of which are coming up in a few days.

Among items lost: furniture, clothes, appliances, and all of Justin's Senior year keepsakes.

"My memory book, my necklace, and all that," he says.

We asked Justin about the family's immediate needs.

"Mainly food, hygiene products, more clothing because we couldn't get much. Uniforms for school, school supplies," says Justin, who is wearing shorts in cold weather because he had no pants to wear.

With the home unlivable now, the Red Cross has put the family up in a hotel.

Some of the teens' best friends from school have rallied around them, and they would like your help too.

"My and Jovanda. We will go pick up items. People can call us, bring us the items or anything," says Senior Desoree James.

If you can help, call 769-257-3075 or 601-832-4696. 

Copyright 2012 Mississippi News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow