Firefighters rescue two people from burning apartment - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

1 death reported in Windsor Park Apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

Firefighters in the capital city spent the weekend battling several blazes. Monday investigators said one person died as a result of an apartment fire.

Chief Arson Investigator Greg Travis with the Jackson Fire Department confirms 31-year-old Xavier Robinson died from smoke inhalation. Robinson was one of two victims transported to University of Mississippi Medical Center following the blaze.

Units responded to the blaze at the Windsor Park Apartments at 5425 Clinton Boulevard around 7 p.m.

Chief Travis said the fire was confined to one upstairs apartment in building S-D, and it is believed that the fire originated in the kitchen. Firefighters removed the two residents of the unit from inside the smoke filled apartment.

Both victims were transported to UMC, where Robinson later died. The second victim suffered minor burns.

The apartment fire was the fifth blaze Jackson firefighters tackled over the weekend.

Fire officials would like to stress the importance of using and properly maintaining smoke detectors in all apartments and houses.

Lisa Valadie of the Madison Fire Department says fire prevention is key to saving lives.

"You need one (smoke detector) inside and outside every bedroom, never disable your smoke alarm," Valadie said.

There have been two other fatal fires in Jackson this winter. Fire officials say space heaters are often to blame.

"The problem with the space heater is you need to keep everything away at least three feet," Valadie said.

The State Fire Marshal's office says there have been 63 fatal house fire in Mississippi this year, which is the lowest since they started keeping record, thanks in part to prevention.

They've also received a $3 million dollar grant to purchase thousands of smoke detectors.  Some have even been modified for the hearing and vision impaired.

To inquire about the free smoke detectors call your local fire department or dial the State Fire Marshal at 1-888-900-7414.

Copyright 2013 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow