In an email from Governor Bryant's office Sunday, the Governor commended Legislature on funding the "Education Works" package.
"I would like to commend the House and Senate for funding the Education Works package today by overwhelming votes in both legislative chambers. This will be the most transformational education act in Mississippi's history and will help ensure an educated workforce for Mississippi's future," Governor Bryant said.
Governor Bryant's "Education Works" funding package included:
• 3rd Grade Gate and literacy component appropriated $9.5 million
• Teacher Education Scholarship Program appropriated $1.5 million
• Performance based Compensation Pilot Study appropriated $1.5 million
• Jobs for Mississippi Graduates appropriated $1 million
• Literary Program, Mississippi Building Blocks appropriated $3 million
• LifeTracks, state longitudinal data system appropriated $1.8 million
• Career Tech/National Certification appropriated $250,000
• National Board Certification appropriated $22,600,000
• Professional development for Dyslexia appropriated $300,000
• Teach for America appropriated $6 million
The House Democrats, however, killed the Medicaid budget bill.
Copyright 2013 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.
IF YOU HAVE A STORY IDEA CONTACT WLBT/WDBD AT (601) 960-4426 OR EMAIL US AT News@WLBT.COM.
715 South Jefferson Street
Jackson, MS 39201