Carbon monoxide poisons Vicksburg family - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Carbon monoxide poisons Vicksburg family

Posted: Updated:
VICKSBURG, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

A relative rescued a Vicksburg family after they were poisoned by carbon monoxide Saturday morning.

The toxic gas filled the home off Highway 61 South sometime before 11 a.m.

LaShuanda Franklin and her five children were inside when she awoke and noticed the house was very cold.

The 34-year-old said she found one son on the floor of his bedroom and another daughter unresponsive.

She called her cousin, James Theriot, who got the children out of the house while Franklin called 911.

The children ranged in age from 4 to 13.

They were all transported by ambulance to River Region Medical Center where they were treated and released.

Theriot, who was dizzy during the rescue, left when firefighters arrived.

His condition did not improve and he was later forced to seek medical treatment then was released.

Vicksburg Fire Chief Charles Atkins said first responders literally arrived in the nick of time to transport the family.

He strongly urges the use of carbon monoxide detectors, especially in homes with gas furnaces.

Franklin said her heating and cooling unit was the cause of the carbon monoxide poisoning.

The family is not able to return to their home at this time.

Copyright 2013 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow