Artist's rendering of proposed facility on site of old convention center. (Courtesy: Gresham, Smith & Partners)
NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -
The city of Nashville announced a development team plans to move forward with a privately funded $230 million facelift for the old convention center.
The proposal calls to demolish the building and replace it with more than 1 million square feet of office space, retail and restaurants.
Half of the building will also become home to the National Museum of African American Music.
This is not yet a done deal. One of the members of the development team says they still need to bring a contract before the Metro Council, and the plan is to do that next month.
If all goes well, he says, the hope is to see construction crews beginning in late summer of 2014.
The city says the project's scope and design elements will be refined in 2014 through community input, but initial concepts include:
• Up to 840,000 square feet of Class A office space in a tower that will rise near the corner of Fifth Avenue North and Commerce, as a neighbor to the 673-room Renaissance Nashville Hotel.
• Two levels of open-air retail, entertainment, dining and activity space, including about 50,000 square feet for the museum. The current plan is for up to 244,000 square feet of high-quality destination retail.
• Providing the Renaissance Hotel with access from Fifth and Broadway and developing a new conference center to support the hotel's corporate meeting business will maximize synergy between the neighbors.
• Creation of an expanded plaza at the corner of Fifth and Broadway to connect the project in a critical way to the Avenue of the Arts and major attractions that include The Ryman Auditorium, Bridgestone Arena, and the Music City Center and the 5th Avenue Arts District. A plaza-like setting along Fifth Avenue will provide a new showcase for The Ryman.
• Emphasis on environmental sustainability in construction and the functioning physical environment.
• A commitment to meet or exceed 20 percent minority and disadvantaged business throughout development and construction.
Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.
While you were sleeping, the Internet never stopped… Here's what's trending today. Mobile user? Click here: Wasp nest built on window What would you do if you saw this on your window? It's like somethingMore >>
While you were sleeping, the Internet never stopped. Here's what's trending today.More >>
Monday, September 15 2014 10:55 PM EDT2014-09-16 02:55:55 GMT
Boone Police Officers received a call about the discovery of a dead body around 10:30 a.m. Saturday morning. The body was found in a wooded area adjacent to Poplar Grove Road near Appalachian State University. PoliceMore >>
The body was found in a wooded area adjacent to Poplar Grove Road near Appalachian State University.More >>
Tuesday, September 16 2014 7:31 AM EDT2014-09-16 11:31:48 GMT
(WMC) - A teen who pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the shooting death of this 10-year-old sister will serve several years in a Tennessee Department of Corrections Youth Facility. The teen, whoMore >>
A teen who pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in the shooting death of his 10-year-old sister will serve several years in a Tennessee Department of Corrections Youth Facility.More >>
Monday, September 15 2014 5:39 PM EDT2014-09-15 21:39:25 GMT
Horrific details of a southern Indiana homicide were released Monday, including allegations that Joseph Oberhansley ate portions of Tammy Jo Blanton's brain, heart and lungs after stabbing her to death.More >>
Horrific details of a southern Indiana homicide were released Monday, including allegations that Joseph Oberhansley ate portions of Tammy Jo Blanton's brain, heart and lungs after stabbing her to death. More >>
Tuesday, September 16 2014 8:30 PM EDT2014-09-17 00:30:17 GMT
Lincoln County Sheriff Steve Rushing says his office is working a death pending case, involving two bodies found Monday afternoon.Family members went by to check on a mother and son and found both of themMore >>
The cause of death for the Lincoln Co. mother and son is still unknown. An update is provided.
Tuesday, September 16 2014 3:37 PM EDT2014-09-16 19:37:13 GMT
We're trying to get more information now on a body found in Jackson this morning. We have few details available, but JPD confirms a man was found dead around 5 am at I-55 North, near Beasley Road andMore >>
We have few details available, but JPD confirms a man was found dead around 5 am at I-55 North and Beasley Road.
Tuesday, September 16 2014 5:41 PM EDT2014-09-16 21:41:22 GMT
MPD: Woman wearing bra and panties, carrying bat caught trespassing at elementary school A woman wearing her bra and panties is accused of running into the cafeteria at Westside elementary school andMore >>
A woman wearing her bra and panties is accused of running into the cafeteria at Westside elementary school and causing a bizarre disturbance just before more than a hundred children were due to come in for lunch. More >>
Tuesday, September 16 2014 10:11 AM EDT2014-09-16 14:11:21 GMT
An 18-year-old University of Virginia student has been missing since Saturday and police are concerned about her safety. Hannah Elizabeth Graham sent her friends a text message around 1:20 a.m. on Saturday,More >>
An 18-year-old University of Virginia student has been missing since Saturday and police are concerned about her safety.More >>
WLBT 3 - Fox 40
715 South Jefferson Street
Jackson, Mississippi 39201