Jackson Fire Department works early-morning apartment fire - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Unattended stove likely cause of apartment fire

Posted: Updated:
JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

Tenants looked on helplessly as towering flames engulfed building P at The Park at Autumn Ridge Apartments on Lindbergh Drive before dawn Wednesday. Smoke poured into the sky, and firefighters worked hard to snuff out the flames.

Everyone got out safely, and it could be due to the quick thinking of Travonte Hampton, who says he was sleeping when he smelled smoke.

"So I woke my girl up, I woke everyone up in the building, that was it. And everybody got out of the house and it started blowing up, the fire started blowing up. What are we gonna do, where are me and my family gonna go now?" he says.

Fire investigators tell us they interviewed the man and woman who lived in the upper floor apartment where the fire was sparked.

"This appears to be an accidental fire. It appears to have originated on the stove in the kitchen,"says Chief Arson Investigator Greg Travis. "Right now, The Red Cross is assisting the families in this particular building. There are eight families that have been (displaced) as a result of this fire. We would also encourage everyone to make certain they have a working smoke alarm in their dwelling," he says.

It has not yet been determined whether there was a smoke alarm in the apartment.

Powered by WorldNow