Tenants looked on helplessly as towering flames engulfed building P at The Park at Autumn Ridge Apartments on Lindbergh Drive before dawn Wednesday. Smoke poured into the sky, and firefighters worked hard to snuff out the flames.
Everyone got out safely, and it could be due to the quick thinking of Travonte Hampton, who says he was sleeping when he smelled smoke.
"So I woke my girl up, I woke everyone up in the building, that was it. And everybody got out of the house and it started blowing up, the fire started blowing up. What are we gonna do, where are me and my family gonna go now?" he says.
Fire investigators tell us they interviewed the man and woman who lived in the upper floor apartment where the fire was sparked.
"This appears to be an accidental fire. It appears to have originated on the stove in the kitchen,"says Chief Arson Investigator Greg Travis. "Right now, The Red Cross is assisting the families in this particular building. There are eight families that have been (displaced) as a result of this fire. We would also encourage everyone to make certain they have a working smoke alarm in their dwelling," he says.
It has not yet been determined whether there was a smoke alarm in the apartment.
Tuesday, July 29 2014 5:50 AM EDT2014-07-29 09:50:38 GMT
Copyright 2014 WWBT NBC12. All rights reserved.More >>
Listeria is listed on the the baby's death certificate as an immediate cause of her death. Her mother, says that while she was pregnant, she ate food that was part of a recent, nation-wide Listeria recall.More >>
A Terrebonne Parish man's homemade trap led to the arrest of his neighbor, police say. The incident happened on Bull Run Road in Schriever. The resident said that his shed had been burglarized while heMore >>
A Terrebonne Parish man's homemade trap led to the arrest of his neighbor, police say.More >>
Tuesday, July 29 2014 11:55 AM EDT2014-07-29 15:55:07 GMT
The girlfriend of a Louisiana physician has pleaded guilty to five counts of prescription forgery. Pattie Carr will be sentenced August 4th. Prosecutors say Carr had her live-in boyfriend write fraudulentMore >>
Prosecutors say Carr had her live-in boyfriend write fraudulent prescriptions for more than 13,000 pills including Hydrocodone and Lyrica.More >>
Tuesday, July 29 2014 7:38 AM EDT2014-07-29 11:38:57 GMT
A home at 3937 Parkway Avenue in Jackson went up in flames just after 2 on Tuesday morning. Jackson Fire officials and police responded to the scene. Many family members and neighbors stood in astonishmentMore >>
Many family members and neighbors stood in astonishment outside of the home as firefighters worked to get the smoke out.More >>
Tuesday, July 29 2014 12:26 AM EDT2014-07-29 04:26:13 GMT
There is new information in the fatal shooting of a Scott County man this weekend. The victim, Bradley Paul Harrison, is the brother-in-law of State Representative Tim Miles. Scott County Sheriff MikeMore >>
There is new information in the weekend fatal shooting of a Scott County man. The victim, Bradley Paul Harrison, is the brother-in-law of State Representative Tim Miles.