By Justin Schmidt, Multimedia Journalist - bio | email
15-year-old Emoni Williamson got her 6 brothers, the youngest of which is 6 months old, out of their apartment when a fire broke out. (Chuck Prewitt/KCTV)
KANSAS CITY, MO (KCTV) -
A 15-year-old girl is credited with saving her six siblings from an apartment fire Thursday.
Even though the fire destroyed everything in the apartment located just east of downtown, the family is thankful everyone made it out OK, thanks to the quick thinking of the oldest child.
"I wasn't thinking about anything but my brothers and getting them out of the house. I have a 6-month-old brother, so I just was just thinking about getting my brothers out of the house," said Emoni Williamson. "I wasn't thinking about anything else."
Emoni said it all happened very quickly.
"We were in the house all relaxed. The next thing we knew we were smelling smoke. I just took all my brothers out of the house and ran to my grandma's house," she said.
The fire started just before noon Thursday inside a unit at the Parker Square Apartment complex, located in the 1600 block of Mary Lou Williams Drive, which is near the intersection of Ninth Street and Woodland Avenue. It damaged two units.
Emoni and her six brothers were watching TV downstairs.
"We started smelling something burnt. I thought my brothers might have been cooking. I tried to go up the stairs, but I just seen smoke," she said.
Emoni called 911, then her mother.
"I was on my way past North Kansas City on my way to take care of some things when they called me screaming, hysterical. I'd left maybe 20 minutes ago. I had to turn around, hurry up and come back. This is what I came home to, not a home, but I came home to my children. So I'm blessed," said mother Toni Watson.
By the time Watson made it home the fire was out. She said her daughter is a hero.
"If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't have my babies. Of course I'm proud of her, I'm glad she was here. I'm real proud of her. She did a good job," the mother said.
The Red Cross said they'll be providing housing, food and clothing for the 11 children and three adults from the two families who are now homeless after Thursday's fire.
Firefighters are still investigating how the blaze started.
Copyright 2014 KCTV (Meredith Corp.) All rights reserved.
Thursday, August 28 2014 9:33 AM EDT2014-08-28 13:33:06 GMT
SPARTANBURG COUNT, SC (WYFF) - Fifteen children living in a double-wide trailer were put into protective custody and seven adults were arrested, according to the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office. DeputiesMore >>
Fifteen children living in a double-wide trailer were put into protective custody and seven adults were arrested, according to the Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office.More >>
Wednesday, August 27 2014 11:01 PM EDT2014-08-28 03:01:35 GMT
Who wouldn't feel sorry for a man that stands in front of you, nearly in tears, and talks about how his wife died eight months ago during labor.More >>
Who wouldn't feel sorry for a man that stands in front of you, nearly in tears, and talks about how his wife died eight months ago during labor, his mother just died, and now he is a single father raising a newborn all alone.More >>
Thursday, August 28 2014 4:49 PM EDT2014-08-28 20:49:29 GMT
A Jackson police officer has been hospitalized after being attacked in south Jackson. The department says it happened last night, while he was making an arrest, at the intersection of Forest Hill RoadMore >>
A Jackson police officer has been hospitalized after being attacked in south Jackson. The department says it happened Wednesday night, while he was making an arrest at the intersection of Forest Hill Road and Raymond Road.More >>
Thursday, August 28 2014 1:26 PM EDT2014-08-28 17:26:05 GMT
This is a news release from the office of Judge Hollis McGehee Special Judge Hollis McGehee has scheduled a status conference and hearing for 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, Aug. 20, in the Circuit Court CourtroomMore >>
Special appointed Judge Hollis McGehee said he will file a scheduling order for the Chris McDaniel vs. Thad Cochran trial by the end of this week. More >>
Tuesday, August 26 2014 9:27 AM EDT2014-08-26 13:27:00 GMT
A Jackson Prep football player hospitalized following Friday night's game has died. Walker Wilbanks was transported Friday to the hospital during the second half of the school's home football game againstMore >>
Pressler says Walker's death was an "unfortunate freak event" revolving around the balance of sodium and water in the body. He says it had no reflection of being over or underhydrated.