Dorm fire displaces 200 at Mississippi State Univ. - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Dorm fire displaces 200 at Mississippi State Univ.

Source: WTVA Source: WTVA
Source: WTVA Source: WTVA

STARKVILLE, Miss. (AP) - Part of a Mississippi State University dormitory remains closed Monday following a Sunday fire. MSU spokesman Sid Salter says that 27 rooms could be uninhabitable for an extended period.

More than 150 students stayed elsewhere overnight after a fire began around 8 p.m. No injuries were reported.

MSU Vice President of Student Affairs Bill Broyles says the fire on the third story of the four-story building appears to have been caused by a candle burning in one of the rooms. Lit candles are against the rules in MSU dorms.

The dorm suffered water damage when its sprinkler system went off, in addition to smoke and fire damage. Opened in 2012, Oak Hall's double rooms hold up to 382 students.

Fourth-floor residents remained in their rooms after the fire was extinguished.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly