BALTIMORE (GoldenArmFoundation.com) - The annual competition to select the top college quarterback in the nation has been narrowed from an original field of 27 to five finalists for The Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award.
Named after the man many refer to as the greatest quarterback ever to play the game of football, the prestigious Golden Arm Award is presented annually by the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Educational Foundation, Inc. and Transamerica.
The five finalists for the 2014 Golden Arm Award are:
Brett Hundley (UCLA)
- After 10 weeks of play , Hundley has completed 191 of 269 passes for 2,245 yards (71% completion rate) throwing for 15 touchdowns with just 4 interceptions and a QB rating of 151.5.
Cody Kessler (USC)
- After 10 weeks of play , Kessler has completed 207 of 297 passes for 2,548 yards (69.7% completion rate) throwing for 25 touchdowns with just 2 interceptions and a QB rating of 157.5.
Marcus Mariota (Oregon)
- After 10 weeks of play, Mariota has completed 169 of 248 passes for 2,541 yards (68.1% completion rate) throwing for 26 touchdowns with just 2 interceptions and a QB rating of 171.1.
Bryce Petty (Baylor)
- After 10 weeks of play, Petty has completed 132 of 241 passes for 2,034 yards (54.8% completion rate) throwing for 20 touchdowns with just 3 interceptions and a QB rating of 165.7.
Dak Prescott (Mississippi State)
- After 10 weeks of play, Prescott has completed 131 of 215 passes for 2,016 yards (60.9% completion rate) throwing for 16 touchdowns with 7 interceptions and a QB rating of 141.8.
Candidates for the Golden Arm Award - which has been presented at the end of each college football season since 1987 - must be college seniors or fourth - year juniors on schedule to graduate with their class. In addition to the accomplishments on the field, candidates are judged on their character, citizenship, scholastic achievement, and leadership qualities.
Past Golden Arm Award winners include: Peyton Manning (Tennessee, 1997); Carson Palmer (USC, 2002); Eli Manning (Ole Miss, 2003); Matt Ryan (Boston College, 2007); Colt McCoy (Texas, 2009); and Andrew Luck (Stanford, 2011). This year's winner will be announced on December 8, 2014 and The Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award will be presented at a ceremony on Friday, December 12, in Baltimore.
IF YOU HAVE A STORY IDEA CONTACT WLBT/WDBD AT (601) 960-4426 OR EMAIL US AT News@WLBT.COM.
715 South Jefferson Street
Jackson, MS 39201