Family of fire victim urging Jackson residents to take better ca - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Family of fire victim urging Jackson residents to take better care of the elderly

Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

The family of a weekend fire victim is asking the public to be vigilant in taking care of the elderly. Eighty-year old Albert Reed died Saturday morning when his Jackson home went up in flames.

Family members say Reed often kept a Kerosene heater near his fireplace, and fire officials confirm that something combustible in the bedroom is what lead to the fire.

Now as Reed's family prepares to say their final goodbyes, they're urging the public to check on the elderly before it's too late.

"We never realize what someone means, until they're gone," said Albert Butler. "I would suggest if there is anyone out there who may have relatives who they haven't talked to in years or awhile, go see em. Like I said, don't just call, go see them."

Jackson Fire officials urge residents to check their smoke detectors and make sure that they're still working. If the smoke detector is older than 10 years old, you should throw it away and purchase a new one.

Copyright 2014 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly