The MS Agriculture and Forestry Museum: Before and after the fir - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

The MS Agriculture and Forestry Museum: Before and after the fire

Source: Google Earth Source: Google Earth
Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) - It was the brainchild of then Commissioner of Agriculture and Commerce, Jim Buck Ross in 1969, to preserve Mississippi farming culture and heritage in a tangible way.

As firefighters douse remaining embers, a Google Earth image shows the Mississippi Agriculture and Forestry Museum on Lakeland Drive. 

It sits on 39-acres, donated by the city of Jackson in 1978, just behind Interstate 55.The Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Smith Wills Stadium are next door and Jamie Fowler Boyll Park is beside that.

Exclusive Skycopter video shows the first building, a petting barn, consumed in flames just before 5pm.

Only minutes later, two more neighboring buildings, a vet infirmary decorated circa 1925 and a maintenance barn, ignite and by p.m., the wooden structures are reduced to rubble and embers.

The Mississippi Agriculture and Forestry Museum structures were pieces of living history destroyed in a little more than an hour.

Copyright 2014 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly