Official cause of Eudora Welty Commons fire released - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Official cause of Eudora Welty Commons fire released

Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
Source: Larry Reed Source: Larry Reed
Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

The fire at The Commons at Eudora Welty's Birthplace has been ruled accidental. 

According to Chief Travis the fire originated in the fireplace area of the building.

Joe Nassar, who co-owns Eudora Welty's birthplace on North Congress Street, says it will take a while to come to terms with the fire that destroyed the Hall.

"My business partner, David Morris, this was kind of a dream for him to create an events center for arts, music, for artists," Nassar says. 

An employee discovered the fire around 7:30 am. 

"A staff member was going in to prepare for us starting at 8:00. She opened the door, walked in, it was full of smoke," he says. "We were conducting actually a review of a fire promotional process from a different state." 

The fire-related event at The Commons had begun on Wednesday, and a fire had been lit in the gas-log fireplace. 

"When I left last night, I turned off the fireplace, gas logs," he says. 

"The fire may have been in the area of the fireplace, however through our investigation we will confirm that," says JFD Investigator Greg Travis. 

Travis says at one point more than 30 Jackson firefighters were on scene taming the flames.  No one was inside the building at the time of the fire and no one was hurt. 

Nassar says no Welty artifacts were stored at The Commons. 

Copyright 2014 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly