Taking Back Our Neighborhoods South St. bridge update - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Taking Back Our Neighborhoods South St. bridge update

Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) - A viewer sent me an email asking if there is any new information on the South Street bridge, which has been out of commission for almost two years now.

Three On Your Side checked it out and here's what I discovered.

It was June 2014 when the Smith Brothers reached out to Three On Your Side about the South Street bridge being shut down to traffic for more than a year.

"It's really hurting our business," said Dan Smith.

His family's body shop has been in downtown Jackson since the 1940's. He and other businessmen said the detour caused by the out-of-commission bridge is drying up their business. 

"Money-wise, it cost me 86-thousand dollars in lost revenue last year," said Sonny Gallman.

Ironically, the bad bridge even inconveniences the Jackson Fire Department.

"We watch them every day," added Dan Smith. "Instead of taking a straight shot down South Street, they have to do the loop around Court Street and come out and head to Gallatin Street if there's a fire up that way."

Last June, a city official told me construction would start August 2014 with a completion date of November 2014, weather permitting. What I found January 5, 2015 was idle heavy equipment on site and signs that some work had begun, but still no usable bridge..

 I checked back with Dr. Charles Williams, Acting Engineering Manager for the city of Jackson. 

In an email, he states: 

We incurred some delays due to additional requirements mandated from HUD due to this project was funded with Community Development Block Grants dollars. In order for the City of Jackson to move forward with construction, these requirements had to be fulfilled by the contractor and the City of Jackson.

We also incurred delays regarding material availability and delivery. The combination of both issues lead to a lengthy construction start delay, and both were unforeseen events. The City had a meeting with the contractor in December to ensure all requirements for compliance with HUD guidelines were met, and that all materials required for construction would be available the beginning of January 2015.

The contractor did perform some construction work in early December, but due the Holiday season and inclement weather. The Department of Public Works and the contractor agreed to suspend work until January 2015. The delays did not require any cost adjustments, and the project should be completed Spring 2015.

I will keep you posted. Let us help you take back your neighborhood. Just send an email to Howard Ballou or contact me on Facebook or Twitter.

Copyright 2015 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly