Family escapes fire, loses home - - Jackson, MS

Family escapes fire, loses home

Source: WLBT Source: WLBT
JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) - A Jackson family escapes a blaze that destroyed their home Saturday.

That fire spread rapidly through a home in the 900 block of Pine Lake Drive off Watkins Drive.

Brittney Johnson said she was asleep on a couch, with her son and mother in another part of the home, when she smelled smoke around 11 a.m.

JFD Division Fire Chief Cleotha Sanders said the damage made the home unlivable.

One person at the home was checked out by medical personnel at the scene, but no other injuries were reported.

"I went to reach for the fire extinguisher under the stove and the fire extinguisher popped when I squeezed it. The clamp popped off and it wasn't working right and I was trying to contain it, by that time the flames were just too big for me to handle," said Johnson.

Investigators said the accidental fire was started by an electrical malfunction in the air conditioning unit.

Copyright 2015 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.
Powered by Frankly