Early morning fire briefly threatens apartments on JSU campus - MSNewsNow.com - Jackson, MS

Early morning fire briefly threatens apartments on JSU campus

JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

Flames briefly threatened several apartments in a housing facility on the Jackson State University campus Saturday morning.

It happened at One University Place on Lynch Street.

Division Fire Chief Cleotha Sanders said the department got the call shortly after 3 a.m. 

He said firefighters were able to get the fire contained to one apartment on the second floor and extinguish the flames quickly.

Sanders said there are no reported injuries.

It's not known how many students were affected.

At least five fire trucks remained stationed outside the complex for more than an hour, with firefighters searching first-floor businesses to make sure the flames had been completely extinguished.

Jackson police had a portion of Lynch Street closed as a preventative measure while firefighters got the scene under control.

Sanders said the fire was caused by someone cooking in the apartment.

Copyright 2015 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly