Bitterly cold weather is moving in. Safety warnings are being issued by the State Fire Marshal about heating safely heating.
A Byram family has nothing to call their own after a fire destroyed their home.
"Very tragic," said Anita Elzy. "I think I cried more than they did. Not because of the possessions they lost but because of the family portraits and things that can't be replaced. But thank God they all got out alive."
This family friend described the devastation as a huge loss for the White family. According to the families' daughter, Amber, the fire broke out at 3:30 in the room where she and her child were sleeping.
"The little boys' mother, Nathan's mother, woke up at 3 in the morning, said she heard a voice to wake her up," added Elzy. "She woke up and saw a small fire in her room, grabbed him, ran through the house and got everybody else. By the time they got back in there with the water hose it was engulfed."
Family friend Anita Elzy was helping babysit Nathan Wednesday as family members turned to the Red Cross and other agencies for help.
"I have offered to them, cause I have a 3 bedroom, just me and my husband," said Elzy. "So I offered that to them until they get a place; come and rest, come take showers, just make yourself at home here."
Copyright 2016 MSNewsNow. All rights reserved.
Story idea or news tip? Email us at News@WLBT.COM or call 601-960-4426.
715 South Jefferson Street
Jackson, MS 39201