- Never Skip breakfast
- Breads/ starches, fruits/fruite juices, and low-fat milk/yogurt are all carbohydrate (carb) foods with 60-90 calories per serving. Therefore, these foods are exchangeable. For better health, choose servings from all 3 of the carb groups daily.
- You can choose more than 1 serving of a food. Example: 2 slices of toast = 2 carb groups instead of 1 slice = 1 carb group.
- Use measuring cups to become familiar with portion sizes, which are most important in weight management.
- 1 oz. of meat is about the size of a golf ball.
- Limit eggs to 4 times per week.
- If needing to lose >5 pounds, men-omit 1 carb food, women-omit 1 carb food and 1 fat at breakfast
Sample Breakfast Foods:
Choose 4 carbohydrate (carb) foods:
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cereal (cheerios, corn flakes, etc.)
- 1/2 small bagel
- 1/2 English Muffin
- 1/2 cup cooked cereal (oatmeal, grits, etc.)
- 1 slice toast
- 1 granola bar
- 1/2 cup fruit juice
- 1 small apple, orange or pear
- 1/2 banana or grapefruit
- 1 cup low fat (1%) or skim milk
- 1 cup yogurt sweetened with nonnutritive sweetener
Choose 1 oz. meat:
- 1 slice low-fat cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cottage cheese
- 1 oz. low-fat sausage
- 1 oz. low-fat ham
Choose 0-2 fats:
- 1 tsp. margarine
- 1 tsp. oil
- 2 tbs. reduced fat cream cheese
- 1 Small Bagel (2 carbs)
- 1 Cup 1% or skim milk (1 carb)
- 1/2 Cup orange juice (1 carb)
- 1 oz. low-fat cheese (1 meat)
- 1 tsp. margarine (1 fat)
This information has been issued by Baptist Healthplex. For more information, please visit their website at www.mbhs.org/med_serv/wellness/index.htm or by clicking on the logo below.