- Carbohydrate is not the enemy in weight management. Carbs, protien, fat and alcohol all provide calories. Fat and alcohol provide the most.
- Non-starchy vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, celery greens (all varieties includeing salad greens), onions, etc. are free foods. A serving equals 1/2 cup cooked and 1 cup raw. Make sure you get at least 3 servings per day.
- Seasonings and condiments such as mustard, salt, pepper, vinegar, garlic, herbs, spices, hot sauce, etc. are free/unlimited.
- All foods fit into a healthy diet. It is the portion size that matters. The amount of calories in a 2-inch piece of iced cake equals that of a small baked potato + 1/2 cup corn + 1 tsp. margarine. As for the volume of food, which would you rather have?
- When it comes to fats, the softer the better. Example: squeeze margarine vs. the stick; cottage cheese vs. hard cheddar.
- 3 oz. meat = the size of a deck of cards.
- If needing to lose >5 pounds, men-omit 1 carb and 1 oz. meant; women-omit 2 carbs and 1 oz. meat.
Sample Lunch Foods:
Choose 4 carbohydrate foods:
- 1 slice bread
- 1-6 inch pita
- 1 oz. (handful) pretzels or baked chips
- 1 small roll (about a 2-inch square)
- 3 cups low-fat popcorn
- 1 small potato
- 1 cup noodle or bean soup
- 1/2 cup fruit juice / canned fruit
- 1 small apple, pear or orange
- 1 cup 1% or skim milk
- 1 cup yogurt sweetened with nonnutritive sweetener or plain, non-fat yogurt
Choose at least 1 non-starchy, free vegetable:
- Green Beans
- Greens (all varieties)
- Summer Squash
Choose 3 oz. meat:
- Sandwich meat (turkey, hame, lean roast beef, chicken)
- Grilled / baked chicken breats
- lean beef
- 1/4 cup tuna (canned in water)
- 1 slice cheese (equals 1 oz.)
Choose 1 fat:
- 1 tsp. regular mayonnaise
- 1 tbs. reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. oil
- 1/4 cup nuts
- 1 tbs. regular salad dressing
- 2 tbs. reduced fat dressing
- 2 tsp. peanut butter
- 1 tsp. margarine
Example Lunch Menu:
- 2 slices bread (2 carbs)
- 1 oz. pretzels (1 carb)
- 1 small apple (1 carb)
- 1 side salad (1 free vegetable)
- 2 oz. turkey (2 oz. meat)
- 1 oz. cheese (1 oz. meat)
- 2 tbs. reduced fat mayonnaise (1 fat)
This information has been issued by Baptist Healthplex. For more information, please visit their website at www.mbhs.org/med_serv/wellness/index.htm or by clicking on the logo below.