- Drink at least 8 8-oz. glasses of water a day. To aid in weight management, try drinking a whole 8 oz. of water before beginning your meal. This will make you feel a little fuller to keep your intake more controlled.
- If you enjoy alcohol with your dinner, leave out 2 fats for 12 oz. beer, 1 1/2 oz. distilled spirits (vodka, whiskey, etc.) and 4 oz. wine.
- If you eat foods from each food group, it may not be necessary to take any vitamins. However, if you do not like a particular food group, it may be necessary to take a multivitamin daily.
- You can "save" food servings for a later meal if you plan on dining out. This is okay for special occasions. It is best to eat a balanced amount of foods throughout the day to keep your body well nourished and satisfied.
- Remember that the first bite of food tastes the best, every bite afterwards jut tastes the same.
- If needing to lose >5 pounds, men-omit 1oz. meat and 1 fat; women-omit 1 oz. meat, 1 carb food and 1 fat for dinner.
Sample Dinner Food:
Choose 3 carbohydrate foods:
- 1/2 cup corn or 1 small corn on the cob
- 1 small potato (3 oz.)
- 1/2 cup peas or beans
- 1/3 cup rice (white or brown)
- 1/2 cup pasta
- 1roll (2-inch)
- 1 piece cornbread (2-inch)
- 1 hamburger / hotdog bun (2)
- 1 small fruit
- 1 cup skim milk or yogurt sweetened with nonnutritive sweetener
Choose at least 1 non-starchy, free vegetable:
- Green Beans
- Greens (All Varieties)
- Summer Squash
Choose 3 oz. meat:
- White meat chicken, no skin
- White meat turkey
- fish, any type
- lean cuts of beef (sirloin, tenderloin, flank steak, roast). Trim visible fat.
- Center cut pork chop
- Pork tenderloin
- Game meats
Choose 2 fats:
- 1 tsp. regular mayonnaise
- 1 tbs. reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. oil
- 1/4 cup nuts
- 1 tbs. regular salad dressing
- 2 tbs. reduced fat salad dressing
- 2 tsp. peanut butter
- 1 tsp. margarine
Example Dinner Menu:
- 1 small corn on the cob (3-inch) (1 carb)
- 1 small baked potato (3 oz.) (1 carb)
- 1 roll (1 carb)
- 1 cup steamed broccoli (2 vegetables)
- 3 oz. grilled sirloin (3 oz. meat)
- 2 tsp. margarine (2 fats)
This information has been issued by Baptist Healthplex. For more information, please visit their website at www.mbhs.org/med_serv/wellness/index.htm or by clicking on the logo below.