- If you are still hungry after you have eaten your allotted calories, try a serving of a hot, free liquid like sugar free hot cocoa or low sodium bouillon. You may even add free vegetables to make a free soup for snack.
- Sugar free gelatin makes a great free snack.
- Do not use food as a reward. Instead, buy yourself some new clothes, a new book or do soemthing you enjoy.
- It is okay to have a bedtime snack as long as it is small.
- Enjoy this as 1 snack for the day or divide throughout the day however you like.
Sample Snack Foods:
Choose 2-3 carbohydrate foods:
- 3 graham cracer squares
- 3 cups low-fat popcorn
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cereal
- 13 melba toasts
- 5-6 crackers
- 8 animal crackers
- 2 4-inch rice cakes
- 1 small apple, orange or pear
- 1 cup cantaloupe, watermelon, strawberries or blue berries
- 1 cup skim or 1% milk
- 1 cup yogurt sweetened with nonnutritive sweetener or plain non-fat yogurt
Example Snack Menu:
- 3 graham cracker squares (1 carb)
- 1 cup strawberries (1 carb)
- 1 cup plain, non-fat yogurt (1 carb)
This information has been issued by Baptist Healthplex. For more information, please visit their website at www.mbhs.org/med_serv/wellness/index.htm or by clicking on the logo below.